Monday, November 14, 2011

Modeling in Second Life - It's fun and it's definitely work!

So, it seems like the first thing people think of when they consider modeling in Second Life (or in real life for that matter) is that it is glamorous and one will become rich and famous whilst sashaying down a runway wearing some fabulous gown that they could not possibly imagine owning in real life.  I love that dream.  I have found that one thing is true for a second life model and that is, we never need to eat in second life and we can be any shape we like with a bonus of no unexpected bad hair days.  Any bad hair stuff is purely voluntary in second life.
Having said that, being a model in second life is work, requires focus, dedication, and determination.  All these are necessary.  Oh, I don't think I mentioned that modeling also requires money.  Yes, to get going there are many things one needs to procure and maintain to have the right look ready for a given occasion or client.  There is no modeling job that I have run into so far that makes good use of the default avatar one gets on coming inworld.  While it is not mandatory for all clients, a formal education in modeling is very useful.  When starting out I thought I could get by on my good looks.  Now that I have been taught and mentored and experienced some fabulous second life lessons, I realize that there were so many things I needed to understand and, as the profession evolves along with the second life viewer evolutions, there will be more in the future.  Modeling aside, some expertise in tools such as GIMP or Photoshop and some decent photographic ability are going to be huge plusses.  While not mandatory, I think these skills offer a model or potential model an advantage when presenting themselves for scrutiny.  Communication skills, a sense of honor, positive ethics, a willingness to accept criticism, and networking skills are all mandatory.  A model may get started without them but to continue, these all come into the picture.  So, if you are ready, then commit, pay attention, and go for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment